Just last month, I was in Macau to check out the DFS Masters of Time, an annual luxury watch exhibition organised by the DFS Group in association with the Shoppes at Four Seasons Macao. DFS Masters of Time is said to be the world’s largest retail exhibition, showcasing a curated collection from approximately 28 luxury watch brands including the likes of IWC, Jacquet Droz, Tiffany & Co., Franck Muller, Roger Dubuis, Girard Perregaux and Hublot among others. The focus of this year’s exhibition is on bespoke and limited edition watches, ultra-rare pieces, which are highly prized in the luxury watch market. As a result, I got a chance to check out some brilliant limited edition pieces. Here are my top picks.
- The Octo Finissmo Tourbillon by Bulgari. Said to be the thinnest flying tourbillon ever created, measuring no more than 1.95mm. This rose gold model houses 249 components and features an octagon body with an alligator strap. Approx price. INR 90 lakh.
- Tiffany & Co. CT60 Chronograph 42mm. With its steel body, alligator strap and self-winding mechanical movement, this watch by the legendary American jewellery house is simple and sophisticated. The stainless steel watch, with a silver dial, is named after Charles Tiffany, the founder of the New York Minute. The 60 in its name also refers to the term ‘New York minute’, which is popularly used even today. Approx price. INR 11 lakh.
- Hublot LaFerrari. The latest watch by Hublot has got the watch industry talking about its unusual design and composition. The watch has 637 components and a record 50-day power reserve. This concept watch’s 11 barrels are arranged like a spinal column and are wound up using a screwdriver-like contraption. Approx price. INR 1.98 crore.
- Van Cleef & Arpels Heure d’ici & Heure d’ailleurs. It is not very often that this European jeweller releases something for men, but when they do, it is bound to be splendid. The name of this watch literally translates as ‘Time here and time there’, and stands out with its simple, elegant and refined design. It has a double jumping digital hour display and retro-grade minutes, allowing you to set two time zones at once. Approx price INR 27 lakh.
- IWC Big Pilot’s Watch Le Petit Prince, limited edition. (This one gets my vote for my favourite). The midnight blue dial contrasts perfectly with the calfskin strap. The watch has a mechanical movement, pelota automatic winding and the limited edition of 1000 pieces has a special engraving, which reads “IWC Le Petit Prince”. Approx price INR 23 lakh.
DFS Masters of Time exhibition is on on the Cotai Strip in Macao till 29th February 2016.